Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Happy Lohri.


My cousin sent me a message wishing me a "Happy Lohri." Lohri has been one Indian holiday I never quite understood why we celebrate. All I know is that theres candy giving, dancing, and kids involved. Every year I've told myself I'd look it up. Well, after 23 years of putting it off, the day has come.

Ok, browsing through random websites, I have learned:

  • Lohri is celebrated on January 13th of every year, because it's been decided to be the last of the coldest days of the year.
  • It's a fundamentally agricultural festival and thats why it's a popular day in Punjab and North India (farming states).
  • In January, fresh crops of wheat have started growing & farmers are ecstatic.
  • During the day time, children go from door to door singing in praise of Dulha Bhatti (he is a thief that helps the poor & fights for their rights)
  • The children are given sweets, nuts, and money (which is termed "Lohri")
  • At night, Lohri is celebrated outdoors with family and friends around a bonfire. Singing and dancing take place.
  • The community feasts together on sarson ka saag and makki ki roti.
  • A prayer is made to Agni (the Fire God), and Prasad is distributed (til, gazak, gur, phaliya, and peanuts). Prasad is also offered to the sacred fire.
  • If there has been a happy occasion in the family (i.e. birth of a child or a marriage) in the past year, the family usually hosts a party to celebrate the first Lohri of the new child or couple.

There you have it. Lohri explained by the ABCD. :)

No comments: