Sunday, January 18, 2009

Cooking Desi.

My cousin's daughter (who is actually like 5 years older than me), came from India a few years ago. With any elder Indian that hasn't seen me in a while, the conversation topic is about my "studies" or about my "marriage plans." Well, I was surprised when the conversation instead started off with:

Cousin's Daughter: So do you eat Indian food?
Me: Uh, yeah I do from time to time.
CD: You don't eat it all the time?
Me: No.
CD: So what do you make when you're in Berkeley?
Me: Pasta, rice, pizza, noodles, and such.
CD: You don't cook Indian food?
Me: No, it takes too much time.
CD: But you do know how right? Make a thurka and all?
Me: Yea, sure.
CD: So you just don't make it?
Me: Nope.
CD: Wait, are you planning on marrying an Indian guy?


Huh? What? How did a simple cooking conversation jump to my marital preferences? How exactly does what I cook correlate with the race I prefer to marry? Well, if who I'll marry was determined by what I cook, my man would be Italian for sure. If it correlates with the food I most enjoy eating, then no doubt, he'd be Thai.
.
So Italian or Thai? I'll have to get back to you on that one...

No comments: