Friday, December 12, 2008

Donuts for Dates.

My friend Danish is teaching an MCAT class and decided to bring donuts to his office hours for his students. Unfortunately, not that many students came, so he thought it would be "fun to hand out the extra donuts to random strangers."

Cindy, another friend of mine, thought it would have been amusing if Danish (a rather shy guy) had handed out donuts for dates. I thought the idea was brilliant! I mean, I know I love donuts! Who doesn't?!

However, how would you approach someone with a donut and ask them out on a date is a totally different question. "Hi. I have a donut. It has your name on it if you go out with me." Ok, definitely not tempting. And taking food from stangers, especially here in Berkeley is probably not advisable. So how would you pull it off?

I thought back to the most random opening conversation a guy has ever started with me. Back in my food science class, a guy and sat right next to me although there were countless empty seats in the lecture hall. As the guy tried to adjust his desk, he realized it was broken. He turned to me, shaking his head in mock-disapproval, and asked, "Miss, did you break my desk?!" The accusation definitely made me laugh and give a playfully offended response; an amusing conversation and great friendship did follow.

An accusation, I decided with Mr. Desk Guy, would be a perfect opening line for the donuts. "Hi. I've lost a few of my donuts. Did you eat them when I wasn't looking? And do u want another one while you explain to me why u did such a thing?" ;)... and see where it goes from there!!

(Note: In a city like Berkeley your random stranger of choice may just assume that you're high, trippin' over missin donuts that you probably ate and forgot about.)

1 comment:

_shambhavi_ said...

:D
cool... though it wont work wid me, i'd rather prefer chewin gums..