Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Beginning Blogging.

I've never had a blog before. So what in the devil's name made me start one after years of scoffing at people electronically publicizing their lives? The answer is "Sunshine, Butterflies, and Cupcakes." No, not rays of sunshine streaming through my window on an icy, winter morning. Not butterflies fluttering around my presence at a park. And certainly not chocolate-covered cupcakes with rainbow sprinkles at a local bakery just pleading to melt in my mouth and not in my hands.

Here. Let me provide you with a visual. It's on the left because I don't know how to center and adjust images on this blog just yet. Blogspot is not as user friendly as I expected, or I'm just not as tech saavy as I thought. Ok, back to the image. That is my itty, bitty, wittle brudder *pinches cheeks* Preets who goes by the blog name "Sunshine, Butterflies, and Cupcakes". We decided it was time to stop hiding from the world and unleash our dark side online!!

Being the nerd that loves random facts and statistics, I decided to look up some random facts on blogging. Let me share my findings:
  • There are currently 15.5 million active blogs (updated within the past 90 days)
  • Only 33% of all blogs are in English (the next most popular languages are: Portuguese, Polish, and Farsi)
  • Brazil is the 2nd largest blog-using country after the U.S.
  • 40% of Americans, 25% of the French, and 13% of the British read at least one blog per week.
  • 10-20% of US blogs are "related to religion"
  • Males are more likely to abandon blogs than females.
  • 92.4% of blogs are created by people under the age of 30.

"Blogging remains the dominion of geeks, wittier-than thou, twenty-to-thirty somethings in Manhattan and angry, gay Republicans." --Leigh Philips

No comments: